Department of Periodontics
The foundation of K.L.E. V. K. Institute of Dental Sciences was laid in the year 1985; the department became functional in the year 1987. The year 1990 marked the commencement of the post graduation program in the specialty of Periodontics with a strength of 2 students that got enhanced to 5 in 2002. Further on 1999 saw the commencement of the dental hygienist program. This department is one of the constituent specialty in the department of Oral implantology since 2003.
A certificate course on Perio- Esthetic and Periodontal plastic Surgery has commenced since 2007 under the aegis of the KLE University. The department consists of a sound updated infrastructure and competent faculty that make learning the subject a pleasurable experience.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
To train the students efficiently and effectively based on evidence based scientific knowledge and procure clinical skills of the highest order to deliver quality patient care of global standards.
- To achieve a high degree of clinical proficiency in the subject and develop an equally apt competence in research pertinent to current areas in the specialty.
- To train the students should achieve academic excellence, provide the best oral health care, and engage in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors to improve the health of the highly diverse population of India.
To be an internationally recognised department, with a state of the art equipment, in order to conduct extensive research and provide opportunities for continued learning.
- o provide outstanding educational programs in Periodontology at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- To offer life long learning opportunities for members of the profession.
- Hand scaling
- Ultrasonic scaling
- Pocket reduction therapy
- Mucogingival surgeries
- Perio esthetic surgeries
EQUIPMENT’S (STATE OF THE ART)
- Laser unit
- Ozone Dental Jet
- Air Prophy unit (Polishing kit)
- Water Pik (subgingival irrigation device)
- Microsurgical loupes
- Impla-care (implant maintenance kit)
B.D.S. Course : August 1985
M.D.S. Course: September 1991, DCI recognition March 1993
Dental Hygienist Course: September 1999
Certificate course on esthetic and periodontal plastic surgery: January 2007
A constituent department for the conduct of a certificate course in implantology: September 2003.
Ph D. programme: September 2007.
INTERNS VALUE ADDED COURSES
- Title: Value Added course in Periodontics
- Domain: Cognitive
- AIM : Should be able to perform the procedures through independently
- Course Objective: Both Knowledge & Skills are expected from the participants
- Learner Objectives: Should be able to recall, understand and perform a procedure of Gingivectomy, Gingivoplasty, Frenectomy & frenotomy
- Educational strategies: Lecture, Discussion & Demonstration
- Implementation strategies: Faculty and Consumable materials
- Program Evaluation: Shall be categorized under observed assisted and performed categories
- Plans for revision based on feedback received Shall have a minimum of 3 observed and 1 performed score to be considered as satisfactory or unsatisfactory
INFRASTRUCTURE & LEARNING RESOURCES