Department of Orthodontics And Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontics is the area of dentistry concerned with the supervision, guidance and correction of the growing and mature dentofacial structure, including those conditions that require movement of teeth or correction of mal relationships and malformations of related structures by the adjustment of relationships between and among teeth and facial bones by the application of forces and or the stimulation and redirection of the functional forces within the craniofacial complex.
It was started in 1987 and initially was combined with the Department of Pedodontics. The faculty then consisted of the highly reputed Professors in the form of Dr. S.B Shetye and Dr. V.P. Jayade. Dr. Sumanth Goel was instrumental in establishing a separate and independent Orthodontic Department.
The Orthodontic clinic for PG studies was established in Sept 1991 with Dr. S. B. Shetye as the Professor and Head. Later Dr. K M Keluskar& Dr. Vijay R Naik took over the department. Senior professors like Dr. A B Modi, Dr. M R Joshi & Dr. Pradip Shetye have contributed immensely.
Dr. K M Keluskar is the Dean of Dental Faculty and the department is headed currently by Dr.Roopa Jatti. It has a wonderful mix of highly qualified senior and experienced Professors along with enthusiastic and dynamic young teaching staff complementing each other and contributing significantly towards Orthodontic training for UG and PG students coming from across the Country.
Currently the department is partly computerized with the Dolphin Imaging Software aiding in treatment planning. The department also has a well-equipped lab with the latest equipment such as the Biostar machine, soldering machines etc; 3 DSLR cameras with a dedicated photography room. Each Post Graduate student has their own spacious cubicle. The record room is routinely checked and updated thus making it easy to navigate through patient files.
The department of orthodontics is serving as the best department in the institution to the complete makeup of undergraduate and postgraduate students by its efficient faculty members and is offering its effective service to the community.
In collaboration with the Department of Plastic Surgery, KLE Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Belagavi, the department provides treatment to patients affected with cleft lip and cleft palate anomalies. Since 2009, the academic topper of our department was awarded with Dr. A. B. Modi Memorial Gold Medal.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
To develop the department as center of excellence.
- For Undergraduate course:
- To inculcate thirst for learning so that students develop in depth knowledge.
- To help the learner to use the knowledge for clinical application in day to day practice.
- To inculcate sense of responsibility and accountability and put in hard and sincere work to excel.
For Post Graduate course:
- Guide a post graduate to develop capabilities to learn, diagnose and take up research work.
- To develop confidence to handle and manage academics, make scientific presentations through journal clubs, seminars, symposium, publications and presentations in conferences.
- To help an individual to develop not only academically but also socially and holistically.
Orthodontics department, an example of excellence in teaching and learning will continue to place its highest priority on providing quality orthodontics education. It will address the changing needs of the state and region, and will return to the community as an outstanding values for the resources invested.
- To become international leaders in the highest quality of Orthodontics education research and patient care.
- Considering the vast and volatile nature of this specialty and difficulty in retaining what is learned, the curriculum is meticulously divided.
- Special methods are incorporated for better retention of the knowledge.
- Integrated teaching has also been included in the Postgraduate curriculum for a better understanding of the subject and honing their skills. In the undergraduate curriculum, integrated teaching with Oral Surgery has been a step towards making the students understand Orthognathic surgery as this area of orthodontics is tough to understand and visualizing the subject is a daunting task.
- Postgraduate program includes conducting seminars, departmental journal clubs and joint journal club with various other dental specialties as orthodontics alone cannot solve all the problems that the patients report to us with. This gives students a multidisciplinary approach towards treating a case. This would help them to become a more skillful clinical as they graduate and start their practice.
- Weekly seminars are held. Monday seminars are presented by 1st years, Tuesday seminars by 2nd year and Wednesday seminar by the 3rd years. Every alternate Thursday joint journal club is conducted with the department of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Friday departmental journal club presentation is conducted.
- For the proper patient management, smooth and sequential functioning of the department Tuesdays and Thursdays are kept as transfer day. In which follow up of transferred cases are done. Saturdays are the allotment day, i.e. new cases are allotted to the second years. And the progress and updates related to library dissertation and thesis are discussed with guides on Saturdays.
- As records are vital, timely update and proper documentation of patients’ records are done. Regular evaluation and monitoring of the records are carried out.
- Since 2009, the academic topper of our department is awarded with the A. B. Modi Memorial Gold Medal.
THRUST AREAS OF RESEARCH
- Distraction Osteogenesis
- Smile Analysis
- Digital Analysis
RESEARCH PROJECTS/PUBLICATIONS (2015-2018)
- Fixed Orthodontic Treatment With Metal, Ceramic, Self Ligating Brackets
- Orthognathic surgery To Correct Facial Deformities
- Treatment of cleft lip-cleft palate
- Fixed Functional Treatment With Forsus, Powerscope, Herbs Etc
- Lingual Orthodontic Treatment
- Myofunctional Appliance Therapy
- Aligner Orthodontic Treatment
- Bite plates
- Simple removable appliance